The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is:July 24, 2019
The Academic Innovation Studio brings together faculty, graduate students, and campus service providers to catalyze innovation and advance teaching and research. This position plays a strategic role in overseeing AIS operations and supporting AIS programs. The candidate will supervise a team of 6 student staff, including a student program manager and student assistant program manager. They will be responsible for maintaining and improving the AIS physical space, including managing small to medium-sized IT/AV projects and work requests. They will set and enforce policies and procedures, approve supply purchases and booking requests, and act as primary liaison for faculty and staff visitors, AIS consultants, RTL staff, and event hosts. They will manage the AIS website, including developing a communications strategy, creating digital resources, and regularly publishing and promoting content to various distribution channels. They will assist with AIS-originated programs by coordinating logistics, communicating with faculty presenters, providing technical support, and performing other tasks as needed.
Manage AIS operations, including supervise student staff:
* Maintain physical space, manage upgrade projects. * Hire, train and supervise student staff, especially around technology. * Coordinate consultants and drop-in support. Cultivate new partners as appropriate. * Serve as primary liaison for anything AIS related, including information about RTL and partner services. * Document and improve operational processes and systems for data collection. * Serve as first point of contact / back up for student staffing and trouble shooting.
Support AIS programs and events:
* Help organize and run AIS-originated programs, including corresponding with panelists, arranging catering, scheduling, managing logistics and promotion. * With support, take on primary responsibility for tent-pole programs such as resource fair and teaching dialogues. Build relationships with program partners and faculty. * For non-AIS-originated programs, approve requests and support student staff in correspondence with hosts, scheduling, and providing logistical and technical support. * Help develop new AIS program strands as appropriate.
Hold primary responsibility for AIS communications:
* Develop a content strategy and regularly update AIS website and other related channels with events, photos, and stories. * Market and promote AIS events and news through email, campus calendars, social media, and partner newsletters. * Promote and grow the AIS mailing list. * Create and disseminate quarterly AIS newsletter. * Ensure AIS programs are well documented and resources are made available (photography, video capture, event follow up) * Create promotional materials for AIS events.
* Effective communication, organization, and project management skills. * Working knowledge of IT organization, campus strategic initiatives, and academic partner units that support teaching and research * Familiarity with educational technology trends and support for pedagogical development * Experience with communications and digital content development * Ability to use sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns, and stay calm in a challenging situation. * Strong attention to detail. * Solid ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes. * Experience with customer service or being in a client/constituent-facing role. * Ability to assess campus needs for information technology products and design services to meet those needs.
Education and Training
* Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training. * 1-3 years experience working in academic technology, educational development, communications, or a not-for-profit program role. * Experience with web CMS, digital design tools, office productivity/collaboration software required (e.g., Drupal, Photoshop, InDesign, Google Docs, Google Calendar).
* Experience with Jira, Salesforce, or other task management tools. * Professional certification.
Salary & Benefits
The hourly salary range of the position is $32.56 - $37.35, commensurate with experience
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a one year contract position with one year optional renewal.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: