Invitae is a healthcare technology company that leverages genetic information to empower doctors and patients to make informed medical decisions. Our software engineers work on a variety of projects ranging from innovations in healthcare systems to taming the chaos of biology. We're constantly improving our tools and technologies to deliver the highest quality actionable information to doctors and patients.
About the AI Team
The Invitae AI team is composed of AI Scientists and AI Engineers who work together with other Invitae engineering teams as well as academic collaborators to bring state of the art artificial intelligence to our mission. Our definition of AI is bigger than machine learning, including interests in representation, reasoning, optimization, and logic. However, we know that all of these methods are at their best when thoughtfully leveraging contemporary machine learning.
About AI Scientists
AI Scientists are expected to lead initiatives related to their area of expertise, advising the AI Engineers on implementation, mentoring academic interns, and collaborating with academic partners to discover state-of-the-art solutions for our internal stakeholders.
AI Scientists have academic and applied experience in a domain of AI research such as:
* Information Retrieval and NLP (learning to rank, NER, topic modeling, Q&A systems...)
* Representation (VAE, graph embeddings...)
* Reasoning and Causal Inference (Bayesian inference, graphical models, probabilistic programming...)
* Planning and Scheduling (robotic control systems, multi-agent systems, AI planning...)
* Computer Vision (neural, time series...)
* Reinforcement learning (bandits, online algorithms...)
* Recommender Systems (heterogenous networks, matrix factorization)
* Interactive Agents (human in the loop, decision support, conversational agents, data programming, active learning...)
* Computational Biology (neural sequence methods, multimodal learning, graphical models...)
The desired candidate is a strong coder as well as a scientist with interests in a specific area of artificial intelligence such as those listed above. They are interested in developing and publishing state of the art methods with the Invitae AI team. They appreciate academic work for its novelty and rigor, and they enjoy the ability of industrial computer science to scale and focus their impact.
What you will do:
* Create a data-driven agenda and implement state of the art solutions
* Work with collaborating software engineering teams to integrate and scale solutions
* Work with collaborating academic researchers to demonstrate abstraction and generalization of our approach
* Demonstrate insights and value internally (presentations, documentations) and externally (conference papers, blog posts)
What you bring:
* PhD in computer science with relevant publications
* Expert with Python 3
* Familiar with REST, Linux, and DevOps tools
* Interest in new tools and languages
* Ability to both guide and accept guidance from team members
* Detail oriented with excellent written and verbal communication
* Interest in solving problems in the healthcare domain to make observable improvements in patient and clinician experiences
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Invitae is a company engaged in medical genetic testing.