As part of a small, passionate, and accomplished team of experts, you will study and develop advanced concepts for launch vehicles, in-space systems, planetary landers, and crewed vehicles. You'll need a background in conceptual design that is grounded in personal experience across the entire engineering lifecycle and breadth in a wide variety of engineering disciplines applicable to the design of space systems. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration, and your dedicated commitment and detailed attention will further the cause of safe and repeatable spaceflight.
* Bound problems by developing use cases, concepts of operation, and driving requirements
* Trade, optimize, and define system architectures
* Work closely with other system engineers and design engineers to perform conceptual design, sizing, and analysis
* Develop skills and custom models, scripts, and programs to solve new problems
* Identify immature technologies that will enable transformative concepts and support Principle Technologists as they work to bring these technologies to fruition
* Model and optimize Earth-to-orbit trajectories for a range of launch vehicle configurations
* Perform in-space mission design and trajectory analysis, including multi-body transfer orbits and destinations such as Lagrange points and halo orbits
* Create CAD models of conceptual designs to support configuration and integration trades
* Write top-level program and system requirements
* Write cogent and succinct technical memos and devise innovative, intuitive, and delightful ways to visualize quantitative information
* B.S. degree in Aerospace Engineering or other relevant field
* 5+ years of industry experience in systems engineering, including in conceptual design
* Demonstrated knowledge of systems engineering practices such as requirements and verification, system architecture, developing CONOPS, creating models and performing system simulations, performing trade studies, and establishing system metrics
* A practical working knowledge of orbital mechanics and launch vehicle flight mechanics
* Experience working collaboratively in small teams and on fast-paced projects
* Excellent judgement and comfort with making high-quality and high-velocity decisions
* An ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
* A passion for spaceflight, and a belief that humanity's destiny is to live not just on Earth but amongst the stars.
* Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
* M.S. in Aerospace Engineering
* Experience across the product life cycle (conceptual design through operations)
* Familiarity with all major spacecraft subsystems (e.g. command and data handling, propulsion, attitude determination and control) and in-depth knowledge of several of them
* Experience leading small study teams
* Background in mass properties, cost estimation, and/or operations modeling
* Competitive proposal experience
* Experience writing statements of work, managing subcontractors and consultants, and interfacing with external customers
* Publicly available technical writing sample for which you were the primary author
* Experience with the following types of tools:
* CAD (e.g. Creo)
* Collaboration tools (e.g. Confluence and JIRA)
* Mission design and trajectory optimization (e.g. OTIS, Copernicus, MONTE)
* Propulsion and fluid-system analysis and sizing (e.g. GFSSP, ROCETS)
* Requirements management (e.g. DOORS Next Gen)
* Scripting language/platform (e.g. Matlab or Python)
* Version control and configuration management (e.g. Git, Windchill)
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue's principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.
About Blue Origin
Blue Origin is an aerospace manufacturer and spaceflight services company.