At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
We're looking for PhD intern candidates to join the Cities and Urban Mobility team in Summer 2019 (3 months). We seek candidates with a strong background in economics, transportation research, or other quantitative social sciences. You would focus your work in cities and urban mobility by studying Uber's impact on riders and cities around the world with a special focus on different facets of urban mobility. For example: What is the relationship between on-demand transportation and existing public transport systems. Do they complement or compete with each other? Or, does this relationship change depending on external factors? What could these external factors be and how do they change rider behavior?
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
* Conduct rigorous, careful statistical and econometric analysis in support of our research priorities
* Develop assets (maps, visuals etc.) that explain our research for policy and communications needs
* Manage relationships with outside academics and research partners to ensure research collaborations run smoothly
* Communicate cross-functionally to understand the intersection of policy, product, legal, and operations and develop research that informs business or policy decisions
* Present your results internally and externally; in some cases, writing academic papers with great researchers from top universities
What You'll Need
* PhD student (anticipated graduation in 2020) in Economics, Statistics, Public Policy, or other quantitative social science.
* 2+ years of quantitative research or data science experience
* Strong data skills and the ability to learn to use tools such as SQL, Python, R, and GIS mapping tools to work efficiently at scale
* The capacity to work independently and execute a research plan with minimal oversight
* The ability to organize and synthesize analyses and communicate data insights with clarity
* Enthusiasm for learning and growth
About the Team
The Research and Economics team, led by the Chief Economist, is responsible for addressing the thorny policy and business challenges impacting Uber globally. As a data scientist on this team, you would be expected to bring analytical and empirical rigor to bear on important questions relating to economics, transportation policy, and urban planning.
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.