Lineage Logistics is the 2nd-largest temperature controlled logistics company in the US. We are the heaviest of heavy industry, recruiting to revolutionize the industry from within.
Lineage Logistics is the second largest cold storage network in the world, playing a critical role in multiple global supply chains. We store and transport temperature-sensitive commodities (about 30 billion lbs per year) in a large network of warehouses, trucks and rail cars. Our inventories include everything from Boeing’s carbon fiber to your 4th of July baby-back ribs.
We seek individuals with backgrounds in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering and Physics as Data Scientists and Engineers. Materially every aspect of our business relates to graph theory, convex/combinatorial optimization or thermo-fluid dynamics, giving experience in a broad spectrum of academic disciplines. In addition, our Data Scientists and Engineers will gain industrial experience, seeing first-hand how a business operates and makes decisions.
The following is a sampling of problems we encounter:
(1) Routing freight over the minimum cost (or minimum time) path (using graph the- ory)
(2) Optimally packing items in a warehouse or truck (using combinatorial optimization and integer programming)
(3) Analyzing and predicting the failure modes of industrial refrigeration systems (using survival analysis, harmonic analysis and an array of industrial sensors)
(4) Solving scheduling problems with many moving pieces (using linear programming)
(5) Simulating a warehouse to understand how to best utilize robotics (using agent- based models and Monte-Carlo simulation)
(6) Visualizing high-dimensional data sets (using D3.js, R, Python, MATLAB, etc)
For a preview of the kind of data we have, see: http://analytics.lineagelogistics.com