What We're All About
Tandem is a software design and development studio in Chicago and San Francisco. Our mission is to help clients solve meaningful business and social problems and launch beautiful and successful products on mobile and web. We work with customers ranging from startups like TrunkClub, HomeChef, and GiveForward to multi-national Fortune companies like Anheuser Busch, Madison Square Garden, IBM, and Motorola Solutions.
We're a different kind of consultancy, we focus on people, not billing. Our team is made up of amazing folks, who also happen to be some of the best designers and engineers around. We're always on the lookout for folks who align with our values and our passion for crafting quality solutions, and who want to have fun in the process. We look for three things in our candidates: aptitude for the job, continuous drive to learn and improve, and the soft-skills to be a great consultant.
How We Hire
Our hiring process involves a few easy steps:
- Let's Chat - a quick 20-minute phone call to get to know each other, you ask questions about Tandem, we ask questions about what you're interested in and the cool things you've been working on
- The Challenge - whether applying as a designer or a software developer you'll receive a challenge appropriate to the role, you work on it in your own time and submit back when complete
- The Interview - next it's a visit to the Tandem office for a day of pair programming or design, you get to see the office and meet the team, and we get to see how you think and work in a relaxed environment
- The Decision - lastly, our team meets and votes on whether there's a good fit...if so, then we make an offer and get started
Tandem's Core Values
- Ship Quality Work - We take pride in our work and strive for sustainable and maintainable solutions. We resist compromise, attend to detail, and validate our work. We exceed expectations whenever possible, and meet them when not.
- Open the Door - We help each other, we value diversity, and we are inclusive. We provide feedback and encouragement constructively, gently, and often. Above all, we work together.
- Remain Optimistic - We want everyone on the team to enjoy their work. We remain cool under pressure. We talk about what needs fixing, and we fix it.
- Act with Integrity - We believe in radical honesty and transparency with our clients, being visible in all things. We do the right thing for the project and our team, even when it’s the hard thing. We strive to be trustworthy.
- Focus on Business Value - The Tandem team gets stuff done! We value true understanding of our customer's business. We help them find the right solution for their problem, even if it's not what they expected.
- Continuously Improve - We begin improving with humility. We learn, and we teach, every day. We grow our junior developers through apprenticeship. We strive to make experimentation and learning, for everyone on the team, both expected and safe.
- Work with a highly collaborative and values-driven team
- A competitive annual salary and regular increases
- 100% employer paid plans for medical plans for employee, spouse, and family
- 100% employer paid plans for dental and vision for employee, spouse, and family
- 100% employer paid life insurance policy
- 100% employer paid short-term and long-term disability insurance
- 3 weeks paid time off increasing by 1 week each year up to 5 weeks off
- 3 paid conference days each year
- 1 optional work-from-home day per week
- Annual learning budget for courses, online training, books, etc.
- Yearly pre-tax transit benefit
- Catered lunch at the office twice a week
- Healthy work/life balance with no overtime requests...work 40 hours, go home ;)
- Eligibility for inclusion in bi-annual profit sharing after 1 year of employment
- Eligibility to enroll in the Tandem retirement plan with 3% employer matching after 6 months of employment