Why We Do It
- Advertising is currently the most efficient and frictionless micro-transaction model for monetizing content-based publications. We want to see publishers thrive in a difficult environment and believe we can build products to help them do that.
- Advertising should be real content that has value to the viewer and that they choose to consume, not traditional ‘advertising’.
- Ads on the Internet cannot be built around interruption. If users are interrupted, advertising will not work in the long run.
- Ads should be designed so that they fit the natural experience of the user. It should feel just as natural and integrated as the content itself, with proper disclosure.
What We Do
On the product and engineering side, that challenge can be subdivided in to several areas:
- How do you perform 2000+ complex decisions per second? And how do you do that when those decisions depend on input from both internal and external services with varying degrees of latency? (Scala, Finagle, ...)
- How do you efficiently support dynamic rendering of content metadata across desktop and mobile web, along with Android and iOS? (CoffeeScript, Jasmine, Objective-C, ...)
- How do you provide a workflow for both configuring complex content campaigns and summarizing multi-dimensional performance analytics? (Rails, Angular, ...)
- How do you ingest and process ~1TB/day of user activity? And how do you make that available incrementally and programmatically across a distributed infrastructure? (Flume, Kinesis, Spark Streaming, Scala, ...)
Interviewing at Sharethrough
Our interview focuses on the pragmatic application of the intersection of what we do with what you do, quickly and respectfully of your time.
- (30m) Hello Call: We learn about you and what you’re looking for, as well as Sharethrough and the opportunities we have available. This is an opportunity for each of us to talk about what’s important and what a great fit looks like.
- (30m) Code Together: You’ll go through a brief (fun!), hands-on coding exercise with one of our engineering leaders, focused on software engineering fundamentals. We usually do this over Skype or Google Hangouts to keep things convenient for candidates; your call!
- (3-4hrs) On-Site: We’ll go through at least three hands-on technical exercises together, utilizing the languages we use and the types of problems we’re solving. You’ll meet the team of engineers, product owners and designers you’ll be collaborating with, and one of our founders (Rob Fan, our CTO).
Other Cool Stuff
- Our engineering site, plenty of content on the blog as well as our team values.
- Sharethrough engineering featured in a video about our use of Spark, check us out!
- We held an engineering leadership conference called Calibrate.